Rocky Mountain Youth Corps (RMYC), with offices in Albuquerque and Taos, NM, is a nonprofit youth-development organization serving New Mexico. RMYC is a stepping stone to new opportunities. We inspire young adults to make a positive difference in themselves and their communities. Through training and service, corpsmembers discover their potential for healthy, productive lives. Corpsmembers are 16 to 25 years old and represent a variety of racial, economic, and ethnic groups.
Position Type: Federal Fiscal Year 2019-20 (September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019 ) 44 weeks at 20 hours and 8 weeks at 28 hours. Part-time exempt, with additional time as required by program schedule, including occasional weekends, overnights, and field work
Location: Taos, NM
Pay: $22,080 annual salary, depending on experience
Benefits: _ All benefits as described in RMYC Staff Manual
Reports to: Associate Director
Position overview: RMYC Canine-Assisted Leadership Specialist is responsible for instructing corpsmembers with barriers to employment, including disability, in the training of assistance dogs, to be placed with clients with disabilities or as Courthouse/Facility Dogs. This position will require working some weekends. During class training, an Instructor may be required to work up to eight (8) hours in a given day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Trains dogs to be responsible and effective assistance dogs.
• Instructs corpsmembers to train and socialize assistance dogs, in the training office and in public settings.
• Assists with the selection of dogs for use in the program, ensures proper routine care,
health care and maintenance for the dogs.
• Participates in the planning and scheduling of corpsmember training, matching dogs to corpsmembers
and class training activities.
• Maintains written and computer records, according to established procedures as set
forth by the State of New Mexico DVR client reporting.
• Leadership – Maintains a positive role in the company. Promotes and
exemplifies Organization values, represents departmental objectives and interests to
internal and external clients and project partners, and is accountable for responsibilities and own
• Teamwork - Develops and promotes teamwork and cooperation among staff and corpsmembers.
• Safety – Demonstrates commitment to a healthy and safe environment and follows all
safety and security policies and procedures.
• Flexibility - Adapts to changing policies and procedures, as well as varying deadlines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience
Registered Job Development Specialist, NM Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
PetTech® PetSaver™ Master Trainer Certified
Social Work (LCSW, LMSW, LBSW) or Occupational Therapy (M-OT) licensure, preferred
This position has access to confidential information as it relates to client’s application for and assistance dog which may include some or all of personal data, legal documents, and medical